2019 conference a huge success
Published 15th May, 2019
The 2019 conference theme ‘Growing up with Developmental Language Disorder’ was a huge success.
The day was opened by Juliet Wright, a young person with DLD, who very powerfully expressed the experience of being a young person with DLD.
The other speakers were a combination of research and practice looking at the pathway of DLD in terms of its presentation, services and interventions.
Key learning points included:
- self awareness of DLD is crucial;
- YP with identified DLD do better than those who have identified needs;
- language needs at 4 years will continue, so intervention needs to be functional;
- language interventions can still be successful at secondary school;
- early years is crucial, but we need to look closely at the interventions, as what we think might work does not always work;
- collaboration is key.